Friday, March 14, 2008

First Ride of the Season

I was happier than a kid in a candy store to be on my bike yesterday. After work I was on my way to the gym to run on the treadmill and thought What the heck am I doing? It’s gorgeous outside! So I did what we all would do in this situation. I pulled the bike off the trainer found the gloves and helmet that was shoved in a corner of the garage and headed out for what I would call the greatest hill ride I’ve ever taken in the Medina area! For me to say that…trust me, I was happier then a kid in a candy store.

It was tough. My average heart rate was 153, but I didn’t care. A few times I caught myself thinking: What the heck have I been doing this winter why isn’t this easier? Then reminded myself that this was my first ride since early October. Wow I can’t believe how much fitness we lose over the winter.

Here are the stats: 24 miles, avg speed 17.4, highest speed reached 33.1 (that was fun!), time on bike 1.5 hours.

Update on the Medina area road condition: Roads are clear of snow and glass. Some new potholes but not too bad. Corners are cleaner than in the summer (sup with that?) but the roads with the larger shoulders still have sand on them—not too bad since you are not taking a sharp turn during that time. The rollers on 201 by Baker Park Entry have some extra rolls to them so take the downhill’s at your own risk. All in all, the same houses are still on the market and the farm smells have not gone away (I wished they would also), and the A-hole with the big truck still is a A-hole in a big truck.

Now I hope we don’t get that mid-March snow storm. I know, I know, it's Minnesota we will.

3 comments:

jorgehuevo said...

good for you madonna, you are going to be flying in no time this summer, hope to see everybody soon


jorge

Vito said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So... it was YOU who caused this snow!
You jinxed it! Oh well, that is what they make gortex and merino wool.

Dave