Friday, July 17, 2009

The Race of Truths

Yesterday was Trailhead’s third TT—a 9.2 mile course by Fletcher (south of Rogers). Unlike any USCF race this one is self policed. There are a few rules. 1. start and stop the timer in the same spots (they are marked) 2. no drafting. 3. don’t cut the course. That’s it. Feel free to do whatever you want or wear whatever you want. This race is the race of truth. Your competition is yourself.

This was my first TT on this course (with arrow bars). I got 25:30 with 20-25 mile winds. The winds were not an issue—only on the way out. You start at Trailhead bike shop ride 10 miles to the church (i.e. the start/finish area) race the course and then ride back. I would have kept up with the guys on the way out, but I wasn’t ready to hammer it before I even raced. Thankfully they slowed down after I said something at a stop.

Last time I did a longer then blackdog race I found that I favored my left leg thus causing my left glut to fatigue. This time once I felt my left leg go weak I focused on the down stroke of my right leg and my speed picked up! It was like finding out there was another tank of gas in the car.

After the individual TT a few of us stayed around and did a Team Time Trial. Let’s just say I should have taken a gu shot, practiced being on the arrow bars in a group, and overall we should’ve drafted like we were on a normal group ride. It was a disaster.

All in all I had a good time and best of all it was a FREE race!

No comments: