Monday, August 30, 2010

First Open Water Swim

Let's just say, I was nervous as hell not because I didn't have the confidence in my abilities to swim .4 miles across the lake and another .4 miles back but what or if I would encounter an animal of some sorts in the water. Yeah, I'm a ninny. I'll scream. Freak out. Maybe even cry. But if I splash around would THEY run away? God I hope so.

As I tugged on the wetsuit for the first time feeling like I was a sea lion pulling on it's skin, I felt like it was my first day of school. My friend's good friend came with, while she was sitting on the beach after she told me I had my suit on backwards and I was struggling to get it on the right way (zipper in the back - good thing because it was choking me) I looked over to her and said "I wish I had my camera so you could take a picture of me." Something I would look back on just to remember the first day.

Before I got into the water I notified them my mom's phone number was in my cell phone and to call her if anything happens. You got to love a mom that's a direct, independent lady that many times the comments she says she doesn't mean in the way it comes out. She said "What the hell would I have done if something would have happened?" As in, don't call me - I can't do anything! Oh mom... :)

We started off and I seemed to get into a grove right away. I was moving along slowly but moving. I was in LOVE with the wetsuit and was instantly sold on my new discovery. I could've swam all day - until...I lost my nose piece. Yeah, my one last crutch to swimming - I can't seem to get past the water jetting up my nose no matter what I do so I have this small piece that will pinch my nose closed.

It slipped off and fell down the drink. Ugh! It was gone.

I was about 2/3 of the way and had to turn back. There was no way I could continue with the feeling of drinking the water though my nose so I flipped over and headed back doing a backstroke the entire way. Good lord - It was a long way back. My friend kept yelling at me "Madonna, your going the wrong way!" Two seconds later, "Madonna, your going in circles." I instantly started to laugh. My manager, an amputee, made a joke one time saying he couldn't go swimming because he would just be going in circles. It was one of those "did you just say what I heard you say" kind of moments.

After we made it back and I peeled the wetsuit off I thought "That was fun. With a little more training - who am I kidding I'll need a lot - I could do an Ironman.

My friend's response was "You shocked me. You weren't scared at all. If you wouldn't have lost that damn nose piece you would have made it back no problem." We made plans to come back the next weekend.

I can't wait.

No comments: