Tuesday’s drive up north was scary. Black Ice—the worst kind, ice you can’t see on the road—kept speeds far below the speed limit. About an hour into my 4.5 hour drive, I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed a car spinning out of control about 10 feet behind me. 15 years of winter driving experience came rushing through my mind—stay in control of my vehicle, stay in front of the driver, don’t slam on the breaks, no sudden turns of my wheels, be ready to throw your vehicle in Neutral, repeating “OH SHIT!” over and over, etc. All this while fixated on watching the car behind me in my review mirror. Wow, what a adrenaline rush!
Three hours later some—yes I’m going there—ass hole swerved into my lane making it look like he lost control of his DHL truck due to the ice—but the roads were good in this area. I was in the process of passing him when this incident happened. Moments later when I did pass, he was on his phone with an expression like nothing happened. The Ass Hole was probably reaching for his phone and went into my lane in the process. It seemed no matter how careful I was that day someone next to me was not.
Christmas was pretty good. Mom cooked for the family. Two of my six siblings were there. I tried to gather the courage to go out for a short run that morning, but with temps below zero—it wasn’t that important. It was hard enough to take the dogs out for a quick walk—I wish they would understand they were on a QUICK walk.
Friday morning I finally went for this anticipated run. My route was up to the new—yes it’s still new after 10 years—104+ million dollar Engelstad arena (noted as the most amazing hockey arena in the country), to the far corner of campus, through the heart of UND, back home. So many memories flooded back when I passed buildings that were so familiar—the high school I went to, the university football field where games that were so hard to attend because it was so cold (they now have a new indoor bui
lding). The old Engelstad arena where many Hockey games were played (Hockey is the heart of the town)—we got out of school for two days every year to attend the ND state Finals/Championship game which my HS won many times. The bridge I road my bike on many times. The Red Pepper, the Mexican sub shop that is a must when you’re in town. The campus housing my siblings lived in while attending. The spot I got pulled over and received my first “warning”. All this in just 6.5 miles—wow it always felt like it was “so far away” to go across town. It’s exactly 2 miles to the nearest stop light by my house in MN, it’s 2 miles to get to the heart of the campus from my parents place on the south side of town.
Now that the holidays are over and the cookies are out of the house it's time to put all my focus on the half marathon and training for the upcoming season.
By the way, congratulations to Erika she had a 6.7 lbs boy on Dec 19th Jake Alexander Lohn. Erika was lifting weights, running, and working out up until she gave birth—which in turn she had a fairly easy labor.
No comments:
Post a Comment