Friday, December 19, 2008

White Sand

I love this picture of myself—not something I say often. When I pulled at my balaclava on the home stretch and found that it was frozen to my bottom right eyelash, I knew a photo op was needed. Ok, you have to think of something pleasant when you’re running in 16 degree weather.

I occurred a few optical on my run last night. 10 minutes after I started my fingers started to feel stiff and I was losing feeling. I had gloves on so I thought they would warm up within a few minutes but they were only getting worse. I started to get worried—do I continue or turn back? I really didn't want to turn back. My gloves are a little thin, but my hands tend to sweat when I run so I don’t like anything too thick. I started to think if my fingers didn’t start to warm up soon I don’t think I could continue for another two hours. I stuffed them in my windproof outer shell to see if that would work and kept moving them. At this point the worst thought and images started popping in my head. I eventually got feeling back in my two middle fingers but I was still concerned about the other ones. Ok...so my driving finger will be fine, but I NEED the other ones too! Time seems to go slow when you start freaking out. After what felt like forever—which really was only five to ten minutes—I got feeling back in all of my fingers and were able to take them out of my jacket for the remainder of my two hour run.

Next optical was the white sand—unplowed sidewalks. I tried to put a positive spin on the resistance training, but after a while I was exhausted and valued those that took the time to take care of their sidewalks. The worst was by a Junior High. You would think a public school would take out a snow blower once in a while—I guess something’s need to be cut from the budget in these hard economic times. OK, I’ll stop bitching and just deal with it.

When I was running in downtown Wayzata. I got a few strange looks from people coming out of the shops and restaurants. I understand people being a little hesitant based on the photo above. I tried to say “Hello” to ease their concern, but my continued forward motion probably eased their concern more than my friendly comment. I ran up to two older gentlemen walking to their car after having dinner. I tried to make plenty of noise to notify them that I was behind them. It was pretty obvious that my attire wasn’t what concerned them it was the fact that it was freaking cold out and I was out there running. They said something, but with my iPod on I have no clue what they said so I just turn my head back and said “It’s not that bad. It’s pretty warm in here”. It was—I was pretty dang warm with all my layers as long as I kept moving. Sweat can be your worst enemy.

This morning I went to Matt’s class. After my white sand run last night having the energy to spin this morning was difficult. Unlike my usual self, I kept my head down and just went to work. 50 minutes went by without one comment from Matt—very much unlike him. Although, Sarah got a lot of crap since it’s her birthday tomorrow—Matt likes to make your b-day spin just a little more special. I have no idea how much time we spent, but the majority of the workout was a standing climb with what seemed like 30 seconds of recovery every 4 minutes.

I’m not sure what this weekend holds, but I would like to get to a spin class a couple of times before I head up to Grand Forks for the holidays.

1 comment:

jorgehuevo said...

feliz navidad crazy woman

jorge