Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hellions Training Camp

This past weekend was our team’s training camp in Diamond Bluff south of Prescott, WI.

Thanks to Jackie’s Dad, who let us stayed at his summer river house—or should I say a fairly large river house which he graciously let the Hellions use for the weekend and various other occasions. Even stopping by to say he was glad we were using the house because it needs to be used more. Um…ok. Nope problem. Would it be ok if I moved in?

I wasn’t sure what a “bluff” was going into the weekend since we tend to hang out at the house before or after a race when we normally go, but after 105 miles of climbing and descending—I’ve got a pretty good picture now.

I’m not sure how many climbs we did or our overall elevation. Let’s just say over 10 and somewhere close to heaven.

My training bike, Trek Senior, is disassembled at the shop due to a overall that was not expected (new chain, new wheel, new tire, new cassette), so I brought the Madone (i.e. the Fancy Bike) out for the first time this season. Thank god I did—I don’t think Trek Senior would have done the job.

Before I get into the breakout of the weekend, a few notes to those ultra riders I group ride with: One of the girls just had a baby 5 weeks ago, one girl is new to the group, and I’m the only crazy one who rides within a group often—racking up longer mile rides. In combination with the hills, the miles per ride was short. Another side note, due to the oversize gloves I had to wear I wasn't able to get photos of us riding.

Friday—35 miles
Day 1: Point (Amy C) said it best “You just don’t get those hills in the city”

We started in Prescott and headed south towards the river house taking back roads to hit a few rollers. We learned that a curve or what looks like a top of the hill is never the end. False flats and switchbacks are very common in the Diamond Bluff area. Instead of heading to the house to drive back to our start we decided to ride back to Prescott. County Road 35 back to Prescott can make your ears pop a few times due to the elevation change. I couldn’t believe how great I felt on those hills.

I’m so glad Points decided to get out of bed and come to camp. Climbing a hill with her on my wheel made me forget about how hard and long the climb was by making me laugh while we turned a corner or came upon a false flat.

For the most part, all of the roads were sandy so flying down the hills was not an option. What a waste.

In the evening after dinner we drove around and found “The Road” County Road VV. There must have been about 3 miles of climbing 4 false flats and about 10 switchbacks. I wasn’t counting but we kept saying “Holy crap we are still climbing” over and over. We were going to climb that bad boy on day 2.

Saturday—60 miles
Day 2, Part 1:
25 miles
Easy out an back was the plan until we jumped on County Road K and had rollers all the way back to the house. Everyone who came for part 2 was waiting for us to return. There was a short driveway that I had to concer—12% grade, but I had to do a re-do since I was in the wrong gear for that type of grade. Amy was pretty pissed at us because she knew VV was only a few hours way.

Day 2, Part 2: 35 miles
All the girls were together. A couple of guys came out to help along the way. Jay Henderson was our coach showing the girls how to group ride including where their wheels should be, how to do a double paseline. Thanks to the guys in Champlain this was all old news to me so I just rode. I was happy to be with all of the girls and to get some hill training in my legs.

Halfway into part 2 a few riders went back to the house. The rest of us started up a 1 mile climb—we just went down that hill earlier that day. It was rough but I guess it wasn’t too bad if I was still able to keep a conversation. The icing on the cake was hitting VV. Everyone was thankful it was at the end and we were going downhill—going up that thing was going to have to be next time on fresh legs. Holy crap was that fun! The roads were clear, but not sure I rode the breaks. Next time I’m going to go all out! Without riding the breaks you could easily hit speeds of 60 mph! It’s too bad that stop sign at the bottom puts a damper on the fun.

Day 2 Part 3:
Tequila sunrise became the new team drink for the 2009 season. Thanks Bobby!

Sunday—10 miles
Day 3:
We sat in the living room for three hours talking ourselves out of riding, since the roads were wet, then back into riding, then where to ride. We did a easy 10 mile spin past the cattle farm—where we named a calf Oreo.

We ended our weekend at Muddy Waters in Prescott. A place we fell in love with and ate at all three days. Patty, the owner, became our honorary Hellion. If you happen to be in Prescott stop at Muddy Waters and tell them the Hellions sent you.


No comments: