Saturday, November 20, 2010

Figuring it all out.


Apologies for being delinquent in my posts. I’ve been either working or at the gym. Getting a routine down and being able to keep moving without going into a coma or hitting the 2:30 daily bonk has been a challenge.

I’ve been trying to dial in the workouts, figuring out what are my priorities right now in my training and what do I need to do to make sure I’m not over doing it.

So, here has been the plan

Monday – rest day
Tuesday – (am) Master Swim. (pm) Lately it’s been rest but will soon be run or spin.
Wednesday – (am) Spin. (pm) Run with my friend Colin - easy run for him hard run for me.
Thursday – (am) Master Swim. (pm) Nothing right now but will soon be run or spin
Friday – (am) Total Conditioning and spin. (pm) Rest
Saturday – (am) 4 hour spin class. (pm) Rest
Sunday – (am) Spin/run or swim

It’s been fun meeting new people long my journey. What I’ve found is the sport of triathlon, especially Ironman, is such a small group. Everyone knows someone. Take for example, Michelle the master swim instructor, knows everyone in my Thursday/Saturday spin class and a few other people at the Maple Grove spin class and on my cycling team. I met her in Wisconsin this year at the Ironman. She was wearing a Hollywood Cycle jacket and struck up a conversation with her about her getting into cycling – although I didn’t now she was “The” Michelle everyone talked about for swim classes. Until her first class and she said "were you at Madison this year?"

There have been some interesting realization within the past couple of weeks. I might go as far as call them fun realizations. First, with swimming, you’re not only working on your technique but also your more or less working on your patients to learn that one little detail, apply it. Learn another little detail, apply it, etc. Over time those little details become progress. As for threshold for pain – pain is temporary. It may be longer then just a few minutes and seem like a lifetime you just have to keep telling yourself you’ll be ok once the task at hand is over. One other thing I’ve learn is no matter how tired you are as long as you are there mentally you can tell yourself to breathe and keep going. A key takeaway when at a group class when your getting told to do one more set but make it harder or faster is not to complain. Those trainers, although calm, likes to make sure you have respect for them and their training. 

No comments: