Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Progress

After all this hard work I’m finally starting to see progress. They are baby steps but I read somewhere you need to celebrate the small accomplishments.

The other day I took Jonny J’s 4-hour spin class. The week prior was a complete disaster. I didn’t eat properly so I bonked at the 2-hour marker. This week I went in much more prepared. Minus the flat on the trainer – who the hell flats on a trainer? And the cramping in multiple areas in my thighs all you could do is laugh because I wasn’t the only one taken down at the end of the 4-hours by the nasty cramp monster. Overall, I had a really good work out!

Most importantly I learned a few things about running that I will take with me along my training journey.

On Sunday I went to the gym to swim - learned a few things from Michelle last week on technique so I wanted to practice my learnings and also to run a little on the treadmill. Jon said not to go crazy since we were working our legs pretty hard the day before so I did an hour in the pool followed by a 3 mile run.

I couldn’t believe it! I felt strong in the pool – even tried to race a slow swimmer next to me, and during the run I could breathe!!! Kind-of a big deal lately. Thinking I could pick up running pretty easy since I did a marathon and all, but that’s not the case. Once you stop running you have to earn it all back! That’s how the game is played in the world of running. So, lately my running has sucked. A snails pace, I may say, and on the verge of passing out. Using Jon’s techniques I was able to run those three miles faster and still be able to feel as fresh as the first couple of steps. I was elated on my progress!

Today I went to Master Swim class. When Michelle put down the paper on what our workout was going to be for the day I knew I was in immediate trouble. “NAVY Seals Training”. What the hell is that! Never a good title to a workout for someone who is just learning what the hell she is doing. It was a combination of swimming and strength training out of the pool (yeah in our swimming suites – not pretty) and diving into the pool. Aside from the improper way I dove – or should I said belly flopped – into the pool it was really fun and made the relentless thoughts that go through your mind be secondary to the hurry up you have to run around the pool and do push-ups. 

No comments: