I need to hang out with ultra runners more often. I guess chocolate milk and potato chips are the key for recovery. Unfortunately it isn't as sweet as it sounds it's the $.99 bag not the $3.99 bag and only 8 oz of milk not a gallon. I know...Damn! Than why the hell are they doing all that running for in the first place. Their burning like a bigillion calories? Go for the $3.99 bag!
I've been asking everyone their secret for nutrition. Some are straight laced with their nutrition while other make you wonder. Just the other day I went out for a 12 mile run with a couple of ultra runners who was training to do a 100 mile event in June. Along the way we met up with my/our friend Colin. I've mentioned Colin before but let me tell you about him. He's a personal trainer, used to lift quite a bit - you might say if you saw his photos he was competing in a few bodybuilding competitions. At about 5'-6"(ish), 200 pounds and 5% body fat you might say the same. He started to get intro running then triathlons and just recently the Ironman. Since the Ironman he has lost 50 pounds - keeping the 5% body fat ratio, has picked up his run and his cycling. Yet what get's me is that that day when we met up with him to run he was not eating a Cliff bar but a doughnut!
I don't recommend eating a doughnut or would do it myself before I ran since with my luck I would gain weight then loose weight. Although, if you think about it it's carbs, sugars, calories needed to burn and you'd probably be on such a sugar high that you would run faster and burn it off within a few miles. All that said, I'll stick to my 100 calorie Gu packs.
3 comments:
Cograts on the new job! Remember 20 hrs a week working out is good!
Shoneman
You would not want to see what snowbikers eat during an event! Fat,fat, and more fat. Bacon, bacon, and more bacon (chocolate covered). They need it for the energy and to stay warm in the extreme cold.
I forgot to mention Trader Joe's Salt & Pepper chips are absolutely the best. We chowed on those after Cheqaummy. Of course the half a dozen cold beers we each had also helped speed our recovery :)
Post a Comment