Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hi. Remember Me?

It's been a while since I blogged. How funny to think blogs were the thing back in 2007. Now it's Twitter, Instagram, Vine, etc.

We'll I'm going to bring back the classic of blog posting because it was fun back then it's fun now.

What's happening since 2012? When I finished my 2012 Ironman I said I was going to take up Endurance Couch Sitting. I'm happy to announce I won by a clear margin. Honestly, I had a lot of personal stuff happen this past summer that thankfully I took the year off from doing anything to be with my family.

Once things passed. I started thinking about my goals. I was in a pretty depressed place in my life and didn't have much energy drive or want to do anything. Emotionally, physically and professionally I was not on the right track.

I thought about getting back in the Ironman training again because although it's hard it gave me a drive and focus. I thought long and hard about which one I wanted to do. Yeah, I could've picked a easy one. But, one of my mottos is, "Have a goal. If your goal doesn't scare you shitless then it's not big enough." That said, I decided to do Ironman Lake Tahoe. You start the swim at 6,100 feet on a beautiful lake so clear you can see 90 feet down. Water temp is about 60 degrees. You swim for 2.4 miles then get out of the water, completely change into warm cycling gear because the air temp is 33 degrees. You ride 112 miles to a peak not once but twice of 7,200 feet. Once done with the bike you run 26.2 flat miles at 6,100 feet. All this in under 17 hours. My goal: still TBD.

What makes this hard is that I live in Minnesota. Hills are 200-300 feet to the peak. Temps are nasty. Elevation is 700-1000 feet. Breathing will be my challenge. I have troubles breathing normally so this goal does scare me shitless.

I'm up for the challenge.


No comments: