Friday night I went over to Kristy Kreme’s. Kristy, Jackie, and I urban road to the crit downtown. Urban riding: you ditch the cycling shoes, the patted skintight shorts, the billboard cycling jerseys and you ride the old school style—like you did when you were a kid. The only thing missing was the banana seat, streamers, and the basket.
Each year this event gets better and better. Jackie and I walked around cheering on the racers that we have gotten to know this season and saying Hi to our cycling friends along the way. Even cheering on an underground derby that took place after the pro men’s race.
On Saturday, Jackie, Greg—her boyfriend, and I headed to Mankato to watch the NVGP race and race in the amateur crit. Men’s cat 4/5, all Women, and all Juniors where put into one field. This was the first time I raced with the men.
I didn’t do so well at the crit. I had a pretty good position but on the second lap I came around the final corner and my wheel got stuck in one of the tar strips. I thought I popped a tire, but after 30 seconds I realized it was fine. By then I got passed by a couple of people. I tried so hard to catch-up but was not successful. For about 5 laps my back tire kept hitting those strips and I fishtailed it around that corner. It would have been a blast to take that corner at a higher speed without being worried about falling. Oh well, can’t have perfect roads or conditions all the time. I just have to become more confident in my handling skills. I came in 6th out of 7th, I felt like I could have gotten 4th if it wasn’t for the dang strips.
The crowds were small so it was easier to see the pro racers finish on the circuit. Kristen, one of the girls that I road with last Monday from the PROMAN team, was in last position so she did a beer hand off on the last circuit to the Shimano support vehicles—it was awesome! The best part was 30 minutes after I told Jay (from Hollywood Cycle) that I wanted to take a picture with Rory Sutherland he came by and I got to take a picture with him right after he secured the yellow jersey!
Sunday I met up with Mike B and Dave H and we rode out to Stillwater to watch the races. We got lost and ended up in the Afton area and had to go north. I got in about 60 miles. Luckily, we weren’t riding home. The race as always was fun. Kristen Armstrong was off the front right away and had a 2-3 minute gap. She will be fun to watch at the Olympics.
Linda Stone and Shana Strula, from the local Flanders team, did great this weekend. There are several of us who are suffering with a horse voice from all the cheering!
On the last two laps for the pro men’s race this one guy was towards the end and decided to show off. He popped a wheelie and rode up the ENTIRE hill on his back tire. The last lap be did the same thing and even took off one of his hands from his handlebars and gave a thumbs-up to the crowed, He crossed the finish line on one tire—it was so awesome!
This week I’m racing the State Fair and the Richmond Roller (god help me).
Team Strong Heart is still on the road and are over 2/3 complete. All 5 are doing great and feeling good! I talked with Holly this morning. They had a tough night—they road through some bad storms. Amy road through hail and lightning—what a tough lady! They caught Tim early this morning and it sounds like he is looking good and is in good spirits. The Mississippi River is flooded so they get to drive their riders 15 miles around the flood area.
1 comment:
Oh! I'm glad you have that urban riding thing figured out. However, you should have a single-speed or fixie to be a true urban explorer.
Post a Comment