Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Town Hall Team Time Trial

Sunday was The TTT in the Stillwater area. I rode as ¼ of the Hellions—we were registered as the Woodstock team (Hollywood cycling on stock bikes). We have never rode together as a team but we have all raced together so we know our strengths and weaknesses. I was concerned that with the lack of sleep and riding that I would be the weakest link of the group. With a couple of Gu shots along the way I was feeling pretty good.

Since I was the only one on the team that had more group riding experience I took the lead to call out where each person should sit to get the best draft. Although, not much coaching was needed so a lot of props were called out to the one that just got off pulling. Out of 5 women groups we placed 2nd. We were all pleased with our results and how well we worked together. We only needed to come in with three people. Compared to the other teams we were four strong until the last 500 meters. I remember saying to the team, and reminding myself, during the last 5 miles: “If you don’t feel sick when you cross the line you didn’t try hard enough.” Amy gave us everything she had by pulled us up the last hill and then Kristy, Jackie and I gave everything we had the last kilometer. Crossing the line was a blur but coming across the line we were tight and in our minds perfection!

Jackie and I were laughing after the race because we were yelling at each other to go faster at different points of the race—kind of hard when the one yelling is wheel sucking and the one in the front is braking through the wind trying to go as fast as they possibly can.

TTTs are great to watch, but to actually participate in one is equally as fun. I can’t wait to do another one with the girls!

Props to Jay Henderson for yelling at us the entire way. Who needs ear pieces when you have him in the car behind you.

2 comments:

jorgehuevo said...

madonna check the skinysky page there is a few pictures of the tea
m time trail

jorge

Madonna said...

Thanks Jorge.