Thursday, September 18, 2008

How time has flies when you’re having fun

I wish that was true…the fun part.

This blog isn’t about work, but that’s why I haven’t put anything up for a while. Things have been nuts the past week.

Now for the fun stuff…crap what happened? Oh yeah…

Friday I got it stuck in my head that I was going to start running and weight lifting again. I went to the gym after work, took note that yep I and four other people don’t have a social life on a Friday evening i.e. why the gym was empty at 5pm. I found my treadmill—why I didn’t go outside is a mystery to me too—turned on the iPod and started moving. About ½ way through my run I noticed some discomfort below my left knee. I figured it was just the aches and pains when you start running again. I thankfully finished. I then moved on to weights—man I have lost a lot of what I used to have. Can you believe when I was a gym rat I could squat over my body weight and now…I’m lucky to squat a 2 year old.

Saturday. I made plans with Holly a few days earlier to go for a 40 mile bike ride in the afternoon. It was one of those rainy days that all you wanted to do was to curl up on the couch and watch a movie or read a good book. Not us—it was a perfect day to feel even more like a kid (riding your bike + rain = Fun!). While driving over to Holly’s I was thinking ‘you don’t typically start to ride your bike in the rain you typically get caught in the rain.’ While I was getting ready in her driveway we looked at each other and commented about how the rain was coming down harder and the wind was getting stronger but neither one of us was caving into scratching the ride. I think if either one of us would have said something the other one would have gave in quickly—neither one of us said anything. A quarter mile down the road we were soaked. The theme of the ride was: Oh well, wet is wet—let’s keep going. As it turned out, it was one of my favorite rides especially when the rain came down harder and we had tailwind—AWESOME!

Sunday was a bridal shower for one of my Hellion girls. It’s been about a month and a half since the four of us have been together (TTT race). Kristy did the Short&Fat at Chequamegon the day before on a single speed with tubeless tires. A few miles in she got a flat with nothing on her to fix the flat so she rode the rest of the 13 mile course with a flat tire—Amazing! AND she never got one dent in her rims!

Monday I went to the gym for a light workout. Dang, I’m not a fan of the Plymouth LTF the locker room smells like someone forgot their wet swimming suite in a locker. After work I met Paul at his Elementary school for my first swimming lesson—yep I’m a Guppy! Turns out I’m not a sinker—I just need to get over the fear that I’m not going to drown, learn the techniques, and to put all the parts together—breathing, arms, and legs.

So with all this talk about cycling, learning to swim, and running. I want to make clear if I mention about February timeframe—because sitting behind my desk at work I come up with some great ideas for myself—and think that doing a triathlon is a great idea (tri-geeks your help is not needed at this point) please remind me: 1. It really isn't a good idea and 2. The duathlon I did last May.

As for the "goal"—thanks Neil and Matt for your suggestions but after last year’s stories and “attempts” to ski I don’t think MTB night riding and the Berkie (or naked pilates—yeah thanks Matt) are right for me. I decided to do a 1/2 marathon at the end of Jan in St. Paul. I was kind-of shooting higher but then realized I don’t have any money to fly to AZ or FL to do a full marathon. I look at it this way, I was doing 10 miles on my own last winter and I need something to drive me to get off the couch and out of the Christmas cookie jar. Needless to say, there will be a lot of "why did I commit to this" in November/December.

4 comments:

Vito said...

I'm all for Kenny's idea. I can't do Saturdays without Jody.

Saturday you should have been at Chequamegon with an "f"ing cowbell cheering us on.

And yes, you should spend some time with us this fall on the mountain bike. Whether it is at night or not.

Are you doing Headwaters?

Madonna said...

I'll be at headwaters but I'm not racing.

I heard the girl that is taking over Jody's spin class on Saturday is just as crazy.

Madonna said...

I just saw Kenny's note. Crap that talking stuff is MY job!!

Vito said...

AZ or FL? Why the hell would you go there to do a marathon? Do a hearty winter marathon. No worries about over heating.

Do the Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run in International Falls. Last time I did it the wind chills were -60 degrees. The name fits. It's only a 10K however.