I have to admit this past weekend, although it didn’t seem like it at times, was productive. I rode the most miles I’ve ever rode in one day AND I painted my bathroom.
Saturday I woke up late grabbed my lights and was on the bike by 5:45am in order to meet Dave (a new rider this year) then rode up to Trailhead in Champlain. The ride up to the shop was 14 miles from my place. We got there knowing that a tentative century was planned for either Saturday or Sunday. What an ambitious group. It was a double century weekend.
Not prepared for a century I was feeling it by mile 40. To understand what I was going through here is how it went based on the face expressions below: (thanks Neil this sould be fun…) No traffic on Vicksburg or Weaver Lake road Face 1. When I found out we were doing a century Face 2. Talking with Jorge Face 1. After going over the rollers on CR 201 Face 3. When I told Dave H. that I wasn’t physically able to do a century and wanted to go home Face 9. When Dave set me up with the question “Don’t you want to ride?” and gave me a Gu Face 7 then Face 1. When we got to Watertown and had a breakfast croissant a big Face 1. Then I was told that I should stay on the wheels of Berger and Bernie Face 2—Berger likes to cut people off. Neil was right Bernie is a good pace car—thanks guys! After 5 minutes and we were flying down the road at 28 mph Face 1. When Larry, Berger, and I turned off to head home we were exhausted and still had miles of headwind to battle Face 3. When I rode on my own and had to stop to go up two small inclines that I’ve never noticed before Face 9. When I got home and found out that I just rode more miles in one day then I’ve ever rode (112.5 miles) Face 7.
Sunday I was wiped out from Saturday’s ride so I slept in for the first time in…who knows when, and did house stuff I’ve been putting off all summer.
Monday was Labor Day. It was probably the nicest day of the week—but I had no interest in riding. I know! Can you believe I just said that? Instead, I painted my bathroom. I know—another shocking event! My family has only been on my case since I moved in to start painting. Yeah, no wonder I was putting it off—don’t believe those who say they like painting…they must be breathing in too much of the paint fumes. I love the color (medium brown with white accents) it makes the room look rich, but I realized through the process that I have OCD—lines are not straight, ceiling is all jacked up! That’s all I can see right now. Yes, I used the tape. I’m going to have to figure out how to fix some of the mistakes.
Tuesday evening I opted to ride on my own. I did a route I did several times last year, but only a few times this year. The route was great, the weather was perfect, the wind—I struggled. I quickly found out that mentally pushing through the wind when you got other stuff to work out kills a perfect ride. Ugh, I must have pinched a nerve in my lower back because it’s been killing me ever since I got off the bike even after a good stretch.

No comments:
Post a Comment