Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I think the calendar is wrong

There are only 10 days until my ½ marathon. Ugh—I don’t feel ready!! My goal is 3 hours—I know, too much but there is a goal! :)

I was told that I need to break my 10 mile barrier and do 11 miles this weekend for my training. I don’t have those fancy tech items that tell you how far you’ve gone—but I’ve gotten pretty good at guessing pending on the time and my average speed how far I’ve gone. Turns out I did 12 miles that day (with about a mile of walking towards the end).

I learned a few valuable listens—or should I say reminded myself of things that I should already know.

1. Stay at a constant pace don’t go out of the gate faster than the pace you will settle into—doing this won’t use up your stored energy and won’t skyrocket your heart rate out of the gate—i.e. you’ll have more energy for a longer period of time.

2. Remember Matt’s motto—“No need to check your heart rate monitor. Once you taste bile you’re going too fast.”

3. DON’T FORGET YOUR FOOD!—10 miles is pushing it without anything, more than that will have you hurling in the bushes 2 miles from the finish line. I forgot my gu packs at home.

I just received an email today from Laurie, who was going to be my partner in crime in this expedition, that she would rather go tubing instead. WTF??? Ok I admit going tubing sounds 100% more fun than running a half marathon—but this was her idea! Oh well, it’s not like I would see her during the run. I’m still going to do this thing, I’ve committed to it—i.e. I told too many people that I was going to do this that I can’t back out and go tubing. In the end, all this bitching and moaning about the training has to be for a reason.

1 comment:

Vito said...

Madonna...relax! You've done 2 hour runs. Whether or not you get that "11" miler in or not is not going to make a damn bit of difference. Believe me...
You will do great!!!

You do however need to adjust your seat position in spin class.