There has been a dispute today within the Minnesota cycling community about chip timing. Should we cough-up the extra $5 for chip timing or should we leave it as is? Races now are between $20-$30 a shot—that is not including the chip timer.
I have to say I’m for and against the idea. More for, now that I spoke to Mike D today about the use of the chips. After seeing how I did at Opus per his chip timing results—I was able to see how I stood against my fellow racers on every lap. I think this will be a beneficial tool to help see where I could improve. After talking with Mike he said he can prove 3 racers did not get the points they were awarded and 3 racers got points that they should not be awarded. Don’t worry this was not me—I earned my points.
At the Durand Road Race, where chip timing was not used, the officials could not tell who was in which group when they came by or when they finished. A couple of groups started to leapfrog each other several times along the course. Thus, they were only able to keep track of those that finished and the top price winners. Eventhough we had 26 women in our field by the time I rolled up I was on my own and didn’t have to fight for the sprint—lucky me.
It sounds as if those complaining on the MCF message board could hear how chip timing works and how it keeps the race fair that they would be willing to put up the extra $5. On the other hand, if we have the chip timing, why not have less officials at the finish line—thus a cheaper race?
The debate will continue for months ahead.
3 comments:
madonna im watching results from yesterday race and i see 3rd place, congratulation and keep it up, im proud to say, that i ride with you all the time now, not that i wasnt before but more so now
jajajaja
jorge
Jorge, did you see where Melissa placed? She is an animal this year.
yes i just email her, and told her that she is kicking ass, isnt she strong, but madonna you are too, kep it up, also she told me that she upgrade to cat 2
jorge
Post a Comment