While the boys were drinking beer and playing in the dirt at the Fat Tire race, in northern
Wisconsin, seven of us took it to the road. We did the God’s Country Century. You couldn’t ask for a better day to hit the road for a long ride. Clear skies and slight wind from the south. Only a number of days left before we have to pull out the tights and the under layers. Seriously, if you were indoors for any reason—you need to check your priorities and then go jump on your bike!
Somewhere between
Elk River and Zimmerman Dave turned to me and said “So, are we in God’s Country now?” I said I wasn’t sure where the line was but I’m pretty sure we already passed it and were in his country. What a beautiful route! What seemed odd was the unusual number of various road kill animals on the side of the road. A lot of raccoons, birds, turtles, snakes, frogs, deer—I wonder if they all went to heaven since they were in god’s country?
Since the weather was so nice and everyone worked together to make sure we stayed as a cohesive group averaging 20 mph, I guess I didn’t put two-and-two together why my legs were feeling like 2x4. In my mind I blamed everything from the bike to the shoes to my fitness peaking too early in the season while everyone is at their strongest. I didn’t realize until I got home normally we would stop about 3-4 times during a century ride but we only stopped once during the ride at the bakery in Cambridge for lunch and headed back. Although it sounds like I’m complaining—trust me I’m not. I’m actually excited that we only had to stop once and finished so quickly.
After we got back to
Anoka, Perry—who tends to be more of the quite one in the group, said he had a great ride. If you ridden with Perry you know he’s a really nice guy and the pace car of the group. Always out front and always challenging us. We thanked him for pulling, but he said he only pulled twice. Yeah for 30 miles each!
My goal for the end of the season is 4,000 miles. I’m 400 miles away from that goal—so what do you say? Are you in for another ride?
By the way, congratulations to everyone that raced the Fat Tire this past weekend! We missed you on our ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment