Monday, October 5, 2009

Attack of the Zucchini!!

I was talked into going to Jody’s 8:30am Saturday spin class in Fridley. My trouble lately is waking up to make these early morning classes since I don’t have a normal schedule at the moment. The Fridley spin studio must have gotten new bikes during their remodel last year because I’ve never been on a spin bike that didn’t have some sort of problem—these were so smooth and I didn’t almost fall out of the clips! That’s what Bill’s bike must feel like at the MG gym—I joke that he comes in early to oil and tighten his bike.

One of the members gave Jody a Zucchini and Eggplant from their garden. All I have to say was that Zucchini was enormous! And I’ll leave it at that…Umm…I wonder if Zucchini bread is in my near future. You know my birthday is coming up.

I guess the University of Wisconsin was playing that day because it was the Baggers vs everyone else (I’m more of a Hockey fan—Go Sioux!). We simulated being in Madison on a bike race—being in Madison recently I can appreciate the simulation. You had to be there, I can not express how funny it was to be out of breath, heart rate in the upper 150’s and out of no where Jody picks up her giant Zucchini and pretended it was a machine gun! There was no reason or no ill harm intended it was just purely for laughs. I told a friend a few weeks a go that is new to the gym that Jody’s class is like a 2-for-1. While spinning you work on your abs by laughing at her stories or actions.

A few minutes later we were doing a climbing sprint for 2 minutes to the same song Jody called me a bitch last year during class (hey I was feeling good). I told her I was giving her the bitch card back…that sucked!

Sunday I was to go down to Lakeville and ride with my team. An hour drive one way for 30-40 miles didn’t seem too appealing so I met up with Joe on our bikes to watch the Twin Cities Marathon. I had to see what I was getting myself into. We met Laurie and Bob at mile marker 15—I was impressed on how good everyone looked. I hope I look that good at mile 15.

Bob had his bikestereo and was pumping out dance music while we followed a friend on the sidewalk. It was fun to ride behind him so many people turned around to see him and his bike. We had one hater, but a runner ran over to Bob and thanked him he said he bonked a while back and the music got him running again—take that music hater! Amber, the girl we were following, had to hold back from dancing and keep running. She got an impressive 3:41 time and qualified for Boston—her goal.

Hum…maybe I should think about doing the Minneapolis marathon instead…

No comments: