Friday, October 16, 2009

Cardio Kickboxing

Yet again another day of full intentions towards going to Matt’s spin class and I overslept. I haven’t been to his class since…ummm…March! Matt I miss your witty humor—just kidding (not really). :P

Instead I decided to head over to the Maple Grove gym mid-morning and attend Cardio Kickboxing followed by a few laps in the pool. I was just as excited and nervous as I was for my first time in spin class. I heard kickboxing was hard and you would burn a lot of calories—two reasons to sucker me into trying the class.

As soon as we started my heart rate was up to 140 and I don’t think it ever went down—our mid-class break was to run around the track—Nice. Boy was I a mess. Ok, I got most of the jabs down but the instructor called my bluff—or me being new to class—when we did the side hooks. She turned around and said “how many are new to this class?” I was so rapped up on getting my form that I cowered in the back row and didn’t raise my hand. Thankfully there were other new people in the class so she broke it down. Hell if I could get that damn move! I was swinging all over the place the entire class.

What I thought was comical was the backwards kick. You were supposed to be slightly bent over at the hips while you lifted one leg backwards (bending at the knee) and kicking with your heel. Like you would be pushing a door closed with your heel. Seems easy right? Oh hell, I looked like I was an untamed horse that had the jimmy leg. Sure the first two kicks went well, but once your tired—don’t even look in the mirror. You would be ashamed at your performance—as I was. Let’s not even go into the arm/leg combinations—there’s a reason why I don’t attend step class.

All in all, it was a good class. I burned a bunch of calories and then headed over the Plymouth gym to do 30 minutes in the pool.

No comments: