Thursday, October 1, 2009

So I have this great idea…

That’s were it all starts. Four-five months later I’m thinking “What the hell have I got myself into?”

Anyways, I have this great idea. To get ready for next years riding season I’m going to train for a marathon! Training for the half marathon did wonders for my hill climbing. There seems to be a few questions you need to ask yourself. Are you sane? Are you sure you are ready for all of the intense training? When should I do one? Which one should I do? Should I travel or stay local? If you’ve ever researched a marathon you know there are so many choices.

I’ve decided to do the Fargo Marathon as my first.

Why that one? Here is the breakdown
1. Have you ever been to Fargo—pancakes have more hills
2. I’m a North Dakotan. I went to college in Fargo/Moorhead so I know the area.
3. Based on previous racers of this event the entire course is packed with spectators.
4. Believe it or not, the Fargo Marathon is becoming one of the top marathons in the US.
5. I believe a shout out to a few friends and family via social media and I’ve got a pretty good support team on the sidelines. But, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t come—the more the merrier.

My plan is not to start the serious training until January. In the meantime, I will be putting in some conservative base miles so it’s not a complete shock to my body and mind when I kick it up a notch.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a marathon runner for advice. He said “Be ready to not have a social life.” I laughed at him and said “That’s funny. You think I have a social life now?”

1 comment:

Kenny said...

No, I don't think you're crazy to run a marathon for training for cycling. I think you're fucking stupid! I still love you though. And why haven't you been to Jody's Monday class again? My arms should have some feeling in them by Thursday. Tell your mom you found the perfect guy, but he's married.