For the second week in a row our Tuesday ride was a washout. Last week we got stuck under a picnic area in Rockford for about 20 minutes while it down poured and then later received a motor pace from Amy on 117. Good thing she still had her “Caution Bike Ahead” stickers from RAAM on her van. This week we hit three different patches of rain while riding. When stopped to change a tire we received an offer for a beer, a shot of moonshine, $75 bouquet of floors and heard some funny jokes from this old man who pulled up in a golf cart on 117. I think he had a couple too many pulls from his moonshine bottle! Quarter of a mile later we were offered a cigarette from some locals on the stoop of a bar. I never knew the people of Hanover were so friendly—yet so strange!
What a difference a year makes when you start upgrading your stuff. Last night I went old school. Old bike, old peddles, old shoes. Yeah I know, some of you have the real old school stuff, but I’ve only been doing this thing for a little over a year. I couldn’t believe how much harder I had to work last year then this year to keep up. I still love the old bike. Heavier then the Madone—but still has the same kick! Old peddles—not able to pull as efficiently. Old Shoes—now this was my biggest upgrade, there was too much flexibility in the old ones then the Sidi’s. It was almost like wearing running shoes with clips on the bottom.
Mike Berger tried to lead me out a few times to get the sprint sign. On one of the lead outs, out of nowhere Andy cuts me off, took Mike’s wheel and won the sprint! That’s how the game goes—I wasn’t fightn' for my position, but I didn’t have a chance in hell to beat those guys especially via old school—but I tired. I needed a carrot and Andy was it—he didn’t know it. I knew I had one more shot. I almost got him on 144 between 94 and 101, if it wasn’t for the red light I think I would have gotten a change. Someday! :)
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Rain Rain Go Away…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The rain wasn't that bad! I was out cruising on my old ss.
That's all so roadie :)
There is a prime there? What sign is it?
i cut you off? on the crow river county sign prime?
Post a Comment