To start: The bike is ok.
Last night I went to Afton to meet my teammate for our weekly hill ride when her husband Dan said he was coming with us. Oh, great…this was not going to be an easy ride.
What I learned is when in Afton if it says “Dead End” it means HARD HILL! Oh and if you are having fun flying down a hill—don’t forget how much fun it will be to go back up that same hill.
I crashed trying to climb a hill in the wrong gear because there was minimal turnaround space at the bottom of the dead end to get in the right gearing.
Final major climb (note major climb, there were about 7 more good hills left on the way home) was out of Afton Alps. Just over ½ a mile long, 20-21% grade, no flat sections—that sucker was a beast to climb. Yeah I’ll do it again , but the pain is still fresh in the legs.
Tonight is the Dog.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Afton Hills
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's my favorite hill out there. Well, that one and the long gradual climb out of Afton itself.
Like Bob said they day we went. They put a gate across it to try to stop dumb asses like ourselves from going down it only to turn around and climb back up.
Post a Comment