Wednesday, June 10, 2009

St. Peter TT

I’m a little behind on my blogging—but a lot has been going on which is just the tip of my a crazy June.

Saturday was the St. Peter TT 40k. I love this course! One turn, small rollers, out and back, but NOT WHEN IT’S 48 DEGREES AND RAINING! This was no drizzle—this was a full on rainy day without a break insight. If it wasn’t for the ROY points and to defend my position AND on my goal list—I would have skipped that race. Thankfully Hollywood brought his event tent were we huddled together to warm up on the trainers. I stayed closed to Timmer hopping his fast cadence would generate some heat from his trainer. A good warm-up was essential for a day like today. You didn’t want to start cramping in this condition. Limping back would be brutal!


At the start line I asked Matt Anderson (official) if there would be an keg incentive if I caught Jackie who was going off 30 seconds in front of me. Jackie said she wasn’t sure how she should take my request. I told her she would be hard to catch and a keg would be well deserved and earned. She said “yeah, but maybe I want you to catch me so we could get the keg.” I love my team. It’s all about team work on and off the bike.

“Three, two, one…your off.” It took a entire three-point-five minutes before my socks were completely soaked—much slower than I anticipated. I lost a couple of seconds since one section was not clearly marked on which direction. There was a slight headwind, but my speed was respectively high, which made me think there was going to be some good tail wind.

I couldn’t believe about ¼ of the way into the TT I caught Jackie (she wasn’t trying to let me catch her). I passed her and told her to use me as her carrot. Something must have sparked a fire because she move in front of me. Instead of battling it out against each other we used each other the rest of the race even catching up to Barb H (honoree teammate) to be each other’s carrots. It was great to have the ladies out there within site. After the turnaround I was surprisingly smacked in the face with a headwind—WTF I was in tailwind already? Great. On top of that, I couldn’t feel my frozen wet feet. Thanks Minnesota weather.

Once I got to the turn I knew that I had to give everything I could until the finish line. I was happy to see that I shaved 8 minutes off my time from last year spite the conditions.

There was not going to be a cool down after this race. I went full speed over to my car, pried my feet front my clips, g leaned my bike against my Jeep—I was shaking and couldn’t feel some parts of my body—grabbed my dry clothes and ran inside to change. We waited for what seemed like an hour before results were posted. I was sitting in third place with a time of 1:08:47. One Tri lady argued her position which pushed me down to fourth. Kristy got third.

No comments: