Monday, August 3, 2009

1st Century of ‘09

What has taken so long? No, not my updates but why has it taken me so long to do a century this year? Great question. I don’t know, but I’m behind in my miles for the year.

Yesterday Carol, and one of the girls I race with, Cheryl decided to do the Afton century. With 470 miles in my legs in the past two weeks why not do 100 miles covering the Square Lake area, Stillwater, and all of the hard hills in Afton?

Although my legs were screaming and my speed up the Afton hills were slow—I told myself that I could not complain. This was my idea and this will be great training for the near future.

40 miles into the ride we ended up at the Bikery in Stillwater. What a great idea! Three things cyclists are passionate about: baked goods, coffee, and biking. We met two of my teammates, Dan and Jen, at the Bikery who road with us 40 miles in the Afton area. Once they pealed off we headed north—flat terrain with tailwind. Thank god! With the lack of long endurance miles this year I bonked at mile 80—nothing I could eat or drink would get me out of that funk. Just keep pedaling. With our detour in the Afton Park it gave us the perfect mileage—100.3 miles to be exact.

All I have to say is check that one off the list. Next century is scheduled for this coming Sunday.

No comments: