The day after I got back from RAGRBAI I went on a 60 mile liver detox ride on my own. It was a really great ride! Except for one thing, I was so diligent on putting on sun block while at RAGBRAI but for some reason I forgot to put some on when I went of this ride and got burned.
Tuesday I was talked into racing the last crit of the year. My team was putting on the race. With a heavy race schedule at the beginning of the year you can tell most of us are burned out. There were only 6 women who lined up to race in the Open category. It was nice the teams were even—three teams with two racers per team. My teammate Jackie got all the sprint primes and the overall win—including winning the series. Unfortunately, I was no help—I felt every breakfast burrito, energy drink, and hill from the week before making it extremely hard to stick to the back of the group.
The next night I volunteered at the Dog and then went with Jackie to meet her husband in Northern MN—north of the Iron Range. He was doing Boarder to Boarder (B2B). It was funny they just completed 500 miles of biking and 50 miles of running and still had 50 miles of canoeing left when this one guy, one of the athletes, walked past us and said “Isn’t this the craziest thing you’ve ever seen?” I guess he was looking for a little pat on the back and for us to say “Yeah, you guys are nuts!” Instead I said “No, not really.” Come on! I just crewed for RAAM. If he wanted a “you guys are crazy” comment then he should participated in RAAM. At least at B2B they got to stop and sleep in a hotel every night. I have to say Jackie’s husband was nuts. He did B2B in first place and then the next morning competed in a triathlon getting 5th place and beating his best time by two minutes.
Jackie and I did a 50 mile route while we were in N. MN. We stopped at a casino for a break and saw our team drink—tequila sunrise—sitting on the counter. We couldn’t resist. We left hopping to beat the black clouds that were rolling in. We were ahead of the storm until Jackie popped a tire so we ended up changing the tire in pouring rain. All we could do was laugh—thus why I love riding in the rain. We ended up following the rainstorm all the way back.

The next day we cheered on Greg while he finished his canoeing and then headed home. Lucky for us we got a flat tire on the RV. Thankfully Jackie put her tire changing skills to work and were back on the road within an hour.
Tuesday I was talked into racing the last crit of the year. My team was putting on the race. With a heavy race schedule at the beginning of the year you can tell most of us are burned out. There were only 6 women who lined up to race in the Open category. It was nice the teams were even—three teams with two racers per team. My teammate Jackie got all the sprint primes and the overall win—including winning the series. Unfortunately, I was no help—I felt every breakfast burrito, energy drink, and hill from the week before making it extremely hard to stick to the back of the group.
Jackie and I did a 50 mile route while we were in N. MN. We stopped at a casino for a break and saw our team drink—tequila sunrise—sitting on the counter. We couldn’t resist. We left hopping to beat the black clouds that were rolling in. We were ahead of the storm until Jackie popped a tire so we ended up changing the tire in pouring rain. All we could do was laugh—thus why I love riding in the rain. We ended up following the rainstorm all the way back.

The next day we cheered on Greg while he finished his canoeing and then headed home. Lucky for us we got a flat tire on the RV. Thankfully Jackie put her tire changing skills to work and were back on the road within an hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment