Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Dog # 6—3rd place overall in the stock category

Last Wednesday was the last Blackdog Time Trial of 09 and the race of the season for me. All I needed to do was complete the race and I would podium. It was a great night no wind—strange as it sounds (yet makes sense) no wind means when you're on the course there is wind, the same amount from both directions. Think about it, it makes sense.

I got to the dog, with my dog Zoe, and started to get ready. Zoe was really good she stayed in my Jeep the entire time and didn't cause any ruckus—I, on the other hand, was crabby. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to race and then leave. Chatting with my teammates it seemed they felt the same as myself. Once the race was over we all seemed to have a different outlook and had a good time, so I stuck around for the awards ceremony. Out of six races my average time (18:25) awarded me 3rd place overall in the women’s stock category.

During the race I decided to try something different, I put a Band-Aid over my computer only allowing me to see my time not my current speed. As expected, after the turn around I was caught by a guy on a TT bike. I was more then willing to let him pass because keeping him in my sights helped push the pain away and focus on him which also give me the chance to follow his line though the horrendous condition of the road. Worst part was Teresa, the best female racer in MN, was at the turnaround watching how I took that turn. Let’s just say it was disaster and I was quite embarrassed to have her see me go wide and into the grass. Between the Band-Aid and my carrot I posted my second best time (18:15).

The past couple of weeks I’ve been uncertain about my speed and abilities to race. My teammates informed me after the results were posted all of my whining that I’m not fast anymore was a load of crap. Well, when you ride with the TH guys you feel like you are slow. Hey—Thanks guys for the training!

No comments: