Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Six Weeks

Go to the gym after New Years and no matter the time of day there is a sea of people. How many times do we have to hear people say they are going to lose weight and get fit as their new years resolution only to break that promise. Ask any trainer or regular and they will say in six weeks it will be back to normal—and it always is. I’ve been going to the gym on a regular basis for about 10 years and it is the same deal. I say, if you need to make a change in your life why wait until January 1 to start the change?

I went to the gym today for spin class. Tina was subbing for Kristen—a good alternative. I went early to run 2-3 miles before class but wasn’t sure how I would feel—at 11am I had to fight to get one of the 20 treadmills that was already taken. Sunday I stayed in a low heart rate zone for spin and took Monday off. My run outside on Saturday really did a number on me. To my surprise I was feeling pretty good so I kept bumping up the speed. I’ve never ran that fast for that long!

Noon spin class was completely full—normally there are a number of bikes still open. Tina made sure we got our typical hour into a 45 minutes class—today we did some ridiculously long and steep hills. I opted out of some of the crazy moves I’ve discussed before and just did my own thing, but for the most part the class was good. With a bit of energy still left I lifted for about 30 minutes. I don’t make New Years resolutions but mixing in weights is something I think I’ll try to fit in. It’s hard to believe sometimes that at one time I was as obsessed with lifting heavy weights as I now am with cycling. Now 10 lbs can be a challenge.

No comments: