While most runners give themselves 16 weeks to train for a marathon—I, on the other hand, need a full 20 weeks (100 days) of training. Extra time for base training.
I did a few miles indoors, but yesterday I wanted to get out even though it was a high of -5. Once you’re moving it doesn’t matter how cold the temperature is, the trick is to have wick-away base layers and to never stop running until you get home. A good motivator.
The best part of winter running is that you get to dress-up as a Ninja!
The worst part is fracturing in 30 minutes just to get dressed. Two layers on the bottom, three on the top, two on the head, two pairs of gloves (remove one once your warm), a pair of glasses if your running during the day and the thickest pair of socks you own.
I purchased a pair of YakTrax snow grips for my shoes and tried them out on my run yesterday. Next to my super thick Smartwool socks the YakTrax is the best improvement to my winter running gear! 90% of my run was on snow/ice. Not once did I have to change my footing or slow down!!
I got a call from my friend who is putting together my marathon training program wondering what type of cycling obstacles does he need to be aware of while he puts together my plan. I thought with a smile, “Well, ANY day that is remotely nice I’ll be on my bike—will that be an issue?” My real answer was a bit longer then it should’ve been, but I agreed to make it work and not miss a mile of his program. He didn’t give me much to go on yet other then “You'll start in Febuary. You will be doing one ½ marathon in April and I’ve got you down for 3-20 milers (to be exact one of those 20 milers is 23 miles).” My response, “THREE 20 milers! That’s like you doing 3 centuries on the bike.” His response, “That’s true. I’ve never done a century.” My response, “I’ve never ran 20 miles.” That ½ marathon falls on the same day as the Durand Road Race—I guess I’ll be running.
No comments:
Post a Comment