I did my first “official” race yesterday at the first Opus Crit of the season. Looking back on it today...I’m happy that I did it, I’m happy that I finished, but at the time I was disappointed and very embarrassed.
You always hear you are your own worst critic and I was last night. After registering we started to head down to the yellow loop for the race. As soon as we turned the corner we hit a strong gust of headwind. Once it died down I looked at Kent, who is also a Loon, and asked is this really what I’m in for? We got to the race area and the women were already in the staging area. Kent and Skippy wished me luck. I told them I hope I don’t come in last.
Women’s races are different, since there were only 22 of us they grouped all categories together and they score them later. After a few minutes of waiting we were told how this thing would work and we were off. I don’t mean clipped in and started rolling I mean YOUR OFF!
About 1/3 of the way on the first loop I lost the group. “What the F*&k?” kept going through my head. About 2/3 of the way around the loop we started the climb portion. Before I left home I turned on the weather channel and it said 40 mph south wind gusts for the MLSP area. Right when we started the climb the wind hit me like a wall. I got across the line for the first loop and my heart rate had to be 180-200. My thought at this point was: “how the hell am I going to do 8 more?” I was still with 3 other women. Someone yelled out “work together” there was no communication and the two ahead had no intention towards working together. After the second loop I was alone. They got me on the hill. Loop 3—I wasn’t sure I was going to live to see the end. Quiting was not an option at this point. Loop 4-9 really not sure what happened during that time. It was 24 minutes of pure hell. Each time I crossed that line I kept my head down and pushed through it—I was so embarrassed with my performance—I came in last place.
After a few minutes of circling the parking lot in self-pity, I started to say to myself exactly what you are thinking: It’s your first race. You where in an open field. You finished. Etc. Again, you are your own worst critic.
This hasn’t discouraged me quite yet. Ken Woods is coming up and that race is much different. Opus should start seeing more women in my category (I hope). With all of this said, I took away a few lessons learned that I will apply to my next race.
This morning was my first day comminuting to work. Now that the gas is up to $3.35. I saved half a gallon and burned a few calories in the meantime.
6 comments:
1. You didn't crash out and break anything.
2. You finished! Great Job!
3. You learned some valuable lessons
4. You'll be right back there next week asking for more.
Congrats!!!!
madonna, try a road race that suits you better i think, crits are a lot of intervals and all it takes to loose the group, then everything sucks, but good job
jorge
madd dog!
you will learn it a part of racing listen you your common sense and body it wil come around.
remember
start strong finish strong!
can you say firehouse 50
road race
Good for you for giving it a shot! My advice is go back and do it again. Opus is always a challenge, but it is different every time.
Good work!
Hey, you had the guts to try it! This boy cannot sprint and that is what crits are. As far as finishing last, well, I've finished next to last at an Afton mtb race. The only person I beat was a woman who hadn't raced before! Big ego booster. I tend to finish in the bottom 10 of all the mtb races, except Cheq. But, I still enter them and wouldn't miss them. The only people that race are serious and usually have done it before. You'll do much better on a longer race, like the Firehouse 50. You never see runners that are sprinters excelling in the distance races and vice versa. The same is true for cyclists. I give you lots of cred for racing OPUS!!
Post a Comment