Wednesday, February 25, 2009

40 days & 40 nights

Today is Ash Wednesday.

I’m not a religious person, but for those who are, this is the start of lent. In the Catholic religion we are suppose to give up something that we enjoy 40 days before Easter.

I’ve bucked this “giving up something” for years, but last year I challenged myself—this year I will do the same—I’m giving up….sugar and bad carb foods. I know! I might as well die, but it worked last year. The first week is hard but by the second week you don’t care. Unless your boss brings a large piece of chocolate cake with ice cream on week 4 to a meeting you are leading when he clearly knows you are on this fast. I looked at that piece of cake with lust in my eyes and blurred out in a room full of my co-workers “I’m ready to say F*&k IT and eat that damn cake.” I didn't. Thank goodness everyone thought it was funny because I had no idea what I said until it was out.

Now this is all up for your interpretation, but for me that means—NO candy (ugh!), NO pastries (ugh!), NO bread or pasta (ugh!) unless it’s 100% whole wheat, and No Junk food! I have no idea what I’m going to eat, but I’ll figure out something.

I’m going to apologize now for my irritable attitude for the next 7 days. Take this as a warning.

4 comments:

jorgehuevo said...

madonna , now you can see the pictures from 2009, and tom boonen

jorge

Madonna said...

Great!!! Thanks Jorge.

Groover said...

I never knew what Ash Wednesday stood for and only googled it last week so only found out recently. I read about the fasten aspect of it. What a great idea to cut out sugar and other refined and processed foods for the time. I might copy you if you don't mind ...

Vito said...

Ummm...Madonna, since when is bread and pasta bad carbs? If you're going to work out you need to have some carbs my dear. Whole wheat pasta is very good for you. Just eat smaller portions.

I'm Catholic, but also Italian. I would die if gave up good Italian bread and pasta!