Friday, February 29, 2008

It’s gotta be the shoes

What a difference a real pair of cycling shoes will do for your performance. I picked up a pair of Sidi Genius 5 last weekend on sale and finally got to try them out in Matt’s class today. My women’s Nike Spin shoes wasn’t quite doing the job. Now I think I’m going to retire Nike and stick with the Sidi. I sound like I’m the last person to figure out that what I was using wasn’t transferring the power efficiently. I knew that, but now I appreciate the enhancement. What I also found is once you get a better pair of shoes you need better cleats and petals. SPDs are not cutting it anymore. Then I’ll need a better something else, the list goes on and on. No wonder cycling has surpassed golf on the most expensive sport. But what a fun sport it is!

This week has been a wash. I came down with a cold and have been trying to shake it for a week. I blame two things, a project that came in on Friday at 4:35pm with a tight timeline and children. Not mine - since I don’t have any.

I was able to make it to Jody’s class last Saturday. I started with a 2 mile run around the track then her crazy first hour class. Surprisingly, I had enough energy for her second hour class, which was what I think is her hardest course – The Velodrome Ride.

Sunday evening I met up with Carol, Holly, Diane, and Pam for dinner. It’s always nice to meet up with the girls during the off-season and find out what everyone has been doing. My way home was another story.

I got about five blocks from home and my jeep died in the middle of the road at a stop sign. I just got it back from the shop five days earlier and I knew something wasn’t right. As the week progressed, it was taking up to 6 tries to get the thing started. As I sat there waiting for the tow truck to come two police officers showed up and pushed me with their truck to a safer location. Turns out my starter needed to be replaced due to the accident. I was sporting a Blue PT Cruiser for the week. I’m back in my Jeep now!

Matt’s class today was a hot one. Physically hot! They really need to turn the heat up in that room a bit more. I think I’m ready to do a race in those 100+ degree temps. Today was my first day back working out in a week. Bill got a good chuckle today when my tall friend got on the bike in front of me. He is so tall that he pulls the seat up to the last notch…that’s about 1.5 feet taller than mine! I’m thankful that he pushed the bike up so his seat wasn’t so close to my handlebars like last time. No matter how much he blocked me I still didn’t get away with talking in class. Hey…my new shoes make it easier to do the work and still have a nice conversation with my neighbors.

5 comments:

Vito said...

I agree on this past week. My training and everything else went in the crapper this week. Until this morning.
The shoes make all the difference. Don't worry about spending a whole lot of money on pedals. You can get much more out of a good pair of shoes. Same with helmets. I read an article that said spend $$ shoes and save on pedals. Spend $$$ on good sunglasses and save on a helmet. A $70 one is just as safe as a $170 dollar helmet.

Anonymous said...

I think you should stop hiding behind big Mark and get those pedals moving....slacker

nerdman said...

I hate to tell you it has nothing to do with the shoes.

Erik said...

Don't tell Jorge that!

Vito said...

I should restate that the shoes don't make ALL the difference. The bigger part is the person wearing the shoes or rather, their legs. Could also be those 10 mile runs ;)