My goal for last week was to run 26 miles. I know for you runners out there that distance in seven days is nothing, but I don’t think I even ran 26 miles in all of 2007. I was determined to get in those last 10 miles in so Friday night I headed outside. The weather was nice, but the pathways were icy and it was hard to see the ice patches in the dark. I had a couple of close calls, but luckily I didn’t fall.
As a cyclist, we are always concerned that we have the proper lighting for drivers to see us while we are riding, but I notice that some runners do not wear clothing that is noticeable for drivers to see them. Before I left for my run, I pulled off my taillight from my bike and hooked it to my hip. While I was running this guy in a SUV slowed down, rolled down his window, and yelled out at me, “Thanks for wearing a light!” I yelled back, “No probable”. I really should have said, “Thanks for not hitting me!” I’m glad he said something, it made my effort to be noticed appreciated. 1091 calories burned
My concern about hitting my running goal was based on a 1.5 hour spin class with Matt that morning and I had a 2.5 hour spin class with Jody the next day. Matt’s class went great, he turned his focus away from me for once and onto Bill’s heart condition and “the Grandmas”. Matt hates when others beat him, so the fact that Bill was wears his Peace Coffee jersey really got to him. He kept saying “Those guys from Peace Coffee with a heart condition will catch up.” It was quite funny! I couldn’t stop thinking about when Eric Marcotte killed him this summer and wasn’t even trying. That ride, although it was one we were pushing wind the whole time and it was at the end of the season, has to go down as one of my favorite. Thanks Eric!! I loved Matt’s idea about the ladies in the front of the room, who he called “the Grandmas”, should get a jersey that says “Team Grandmas—get the BEEP out of my way”. Comedy at 5:45am is much appreciated. 564 calories burned.
Saturday’s class with Jody was not physically hard it was mentally hard. I struggled the whole 2.25 hours. It was strange, what I enjoy doing normally (hill climbing) was the hardest and what I don’t normally enjoy (down on my arrow bars sprinting) was the easiest. 1033 calories burned.
Did anyone watch the Gophers vs Sioux hockey game this weekend? I’m a Sioux fan. What a great game! It ended in a tie (1,1). The Sioux’s top guy got kicked out for fighting within the first 7 seconds. For fighting—really—isn’t that part of the game? Later in the game, one guy started a fight so the ref violently pushed him into the penalty box. The Sioux’s coach was pissed about the ref’s actions and gave him the finger not knowing that the camera was on him. I loved that the announcers apologized for the vulgarity (please it’s hockey). They went into overtime, but after the OT was over (game over) three fights broke out. Once they got them separated and the teams were shaking hands…there was another fight. I’m not into violence, but with that much padding…how can you not? It’s just part of the game.
I am happy to announce, after 10 hours of head-scratching and customizing…my garage door is now fixed! Just in time for our piles of show we are getting today.
If I can get to the gym tonight, tonight is Don’s class and my long run in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment