Warmer weather that is.
This weekend was fun. I went to spin class on Saturday, for a much needed 2-hour Jody butt kicking. We did mostly hill work simulating road then mtb riding. Half the class knows each other so a random shout out across the room or a good belly laugh is common. A friend of mine, who doesn’t come that often, said “This is just like a party!” Jody had to leave the last 15 minutes of the second class so “Dan the Man” was the instructor for those last 15 minutes. He did pretty well due to the short notice. Bill and I couldn’t stop laughing.
After class I ran 2 miles. My heart rate was over my AT that entire time. I needed it.
Somehow I got talked into running Sunday morning with the LRP (Long Run and Pancake) group. What I didn’t know was that it was trail running on the ski trails at Elm Creek—thought it would be on the bike path. We did about 5 miles starting at the nature center, up the “death defying hill” and down the backside then turned around and came back. The only time I’ve done a off-road-like-trail-run was this winter when the sidewalks were covered in snow.
At this point, I would like to reiterated I am not a runner and do not call myself a runner.
Then somehow I got talked into a bike ride with Holly and Carol for Sunday afternoon. I admit, it didn’t take much. It went something like this: “Want to go for a bike ride?” “Sure. What time?” The weather looked a little deceiving. The sun was shining, but the wind was a cold north wind. We hit all of the major hills in the Baker Park area except rollercoaster road (201). After 5 miles of running and 30 miles of hills on the bike, the last “tough” hill was completed purely on determination, the fear of falling over, and a good loud scream.
I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while, but I’m going to do it. I’m going to start commuting to work via my bike a few days a week. This will be good for a few reasons. 1. More miles on the legs. 2. Burn more calories. 3. Less gas used—although the $$ saved will probably go towards body fuel. 4. Motivation to work harder and to go faster to meet groups for group rides. 5. Last but not least—I get to ride my bike more! Seems the facilities in my building are more accommodating then I’ve been told. I just need to figure out the logistics now (route, time to leave, what to pack).
Happy 50th Birthday to Bill—or Vino on the blogs (or Pantani in the emails, or Beta Blocker Bill on the bike). I hope when I turn 50 that I’m as athletic as him. Bill has said he has done some crazy things on his milestone birthdays in the past. This weekend he took one step closer towards becoming a Fat Tire junkie—he got his ear pierced. Shock and Ahh is ramped in the emails, and what I hear, at his work today. I’m immune to this type of activity—my Mother got her nose pierced when she turned 56. So…good for you Bill!
Welcome Holly to the world of blogging!
3 comments:
What is her link?
I am not shaving or poking holes in myself for my 40th... sorry. Ya coming for cake?
Found it... dah.
Post a Comment