Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Breakaway

Last night was the final night of the Opus series. The wind was a bit strong from the south, but this past year we have raced in worst conditions so the wind was not much of a factor. Aside from the wind, it was a great night to race. There were several people who showed to either support their favorite rider or to participate in the last race of this series. This one was part of the Women’s Made Real Series so we had a great turnout in my field. 21 total women riders 16 of them were cat 4’s. I haven’t seen a few of these ladies in a while so it was fun to find out what races they have been doing and to congratulate each other in previous races. Sounds like a number of them will be doing the Duluth Series. Since I have other commitments this weekend I won’t be able to race with them…next year!

Going into the race I was a mix of emotions. Happy to be racing against my peer racers, but nervous as I always am before they say “Go”. Once we start rolling I’m fine. Instead of 9 labs they bumped us up to 12 labs this time. I had a bit of problem starting. I couldn’t get into my cleats fast enough and I was in the wrong gear! Not until I was ½ way around the first bend was I ready to start racing.

The Cat 1/2/3’s raced with us but kept the speed lower than previous crits, letting us draft off of them on non-sprint labs, even dropping back to coach us along the way. As true competitors they would sprint for the points then regroup. Heck I was content to just to be able to hang with them. The first couple of laps we stayed together as a large group. Lap three (sprint lap) broke the group apart. Luckily I was able to stick with the lead group. After lap 4 I was happy I was still with them and praying that I could stick on for a few more laps. Lap 5 and 6 I was starting to feel the pain. Thanks to the Flanders ladies they wouldn’t let me drop by pulling me back up to the group on the downhill. Laps 6-12 was all about sticking with the breakaway group and getting over the hill then trying to bring back the heart rate. In my case, catching my breath. I was so pleased that I was able to stick with the group the entire crit—a far cry from the first Opus crit. I placed 4th in the cat 4 division and 7th overall. Now I wait to see where I stand in the MWCMR series results—should be out later this week.

During the race the Flanders ladies were giving tips telling me which gear to be in, when to jump, etc. Since talking was not an option I either gave them a head nod or just did what they told me to do to let them know that I was listening. After the race on the cool down lap I was able to talk with them about how I could improve. They are so full of racing knowledge and so willing to tell you anything to help improve your skills.

Tonight I’m going to try out the TT bars I’m barrowing from Bill to see if I’ll use them this weekend. During spin class I always drop to the TT position, but being outdoors is a whole new beast. You can’t really fall off a spin bike—although I almost have—but not in the TT position.

No comments: