What was I thinking? I wasn’t. Stuck in rush hour traffic on 94 I thought that I would go for a run outside since the wind finally settled down for the first time in a while, instead of going to the gym looking at the back of someone’s head while running on the treadmill for an hour.
I ran outside a number of times in the dark last year, but this being the first time this year I was a little nervous to be out there on my own. Being overly cautious I stuffed my pepper spray and my cell phone in my pocket, put on my balaclava to hopefully disguise my ponytail and I started out on a course I ran many times. I enjoy running at night because, just like MTB at night, you can’t see what is coming up…you just continue. Although, I think I’m going to invest in a headlamp if I’m going to continue to run in the evening. It was difficult seeing the sidewalk from time to time especially when the oncoming car lights were strong.
I finally got home—almost feeling like it would never end—after 10 miles.
This morning I woke up before the birds to attend Jody’s spin class. This was the part I wasn’t thinking about: Who in their right mind would do a long run the night before and then go to Jody’s spin class? Ahem…ME!
Getting ready to head out the door was a chore…my ankles were sore from the night before. Funny how you can forget about what you just did…but thankfully I had a constant reminder.
I got to the gym and lifted and then lightly spun to warm-up. I needed it...today’s class was intervals—Jody style! 8 minutes of jumps, 8 minutes of rollers, 8 minutes of pure climbing, 8 minutes of jogging, 8 minutes of…we did it all. We learned a new Jody-ism word “Electric hands”. While we were in the jogging position we had to “take the bounce out” which means only your lower half is moving—not an easy thing to do. Anyways, while we were taking the bounce out she yells out “electric hands”—after being perplexed for a few seconds you realized she didn’t want you to use your hands to stabilize yourself. It was a good class…I need a nap.
No comments:
Post a Comment