Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Afton

Last night I met my new teammate Jen for our first weekly Afton hill training ride—since I’m on that side of town for work. For those out-of-towners, Afton is a little Minnesota ski town located between St. Paul and the Wisconsin boarder. It’s got a reputation as a close location with some fairly large climbs. I’ll post photos once the area starts to get green.

Jen and I departed from Life Time Fitness for a 22-mile ride, I called the “C Ride” for that area. Nothing crazy, just a few steady climbs to get used to the area. Since Jen lives in the area she pointed out a few spots that made the lactic acid in my legs start to sturr just looking at those hills. Those would be for the B or A rides. One inparticular she called the Lollypop. Yep, that stick of the lollypop was like a wall. We’ll save that one for a special day.

Since I was feeling pretty good about my ride lastnight I thought I would attempt Jody’s spin class this morning. Last week I got a email from her asking why I wasn’t in class—dang can’t a girl sleep in? Guess where she took us on our virtual spin class ride? Yep—Afton.

Once we started my plan to get a good Jody tail-feather kicking changed plans to a easy zone 2 while the guys next to me were topping out at heart rates in the high 160’s. Yeah, half of them are on beta blockers, but still put in a good effort. I peddled a high of 140 averaging somewhere around 120. Wow—was that hard to accept. I’m either chilln’ on the couch or at 100%. There is no in between. Yeah, I know I have to work those easy workouts into my schedule, but I always feel like they are a waste of my time—I should’ve stayed in bed.

OHHHH—so about two months ago I blogged about running my first ½ marathon. Although I wasn’t happy with my performace I was pretty happy with my time. UNTIL—last night. Two of the players on the Biggest Loser beat my ½ marathon time. Yeah, it waas -20 degrees when I ran, BUT they did not have any time to train for the event AND they were heavier then me! That’s it—I WANT A DO OVER!

No comments: