Ok, that’s obvious but there is another reason to love cycling. I know, do you need more?
Since Mother Nature decided that Minnesota was not done with winter and has blasted us with gloomy, rainy, and yes—snowy days this week. The weekly Afton ride was cancelled. Instead I decided to run on the hamster wheel at the gym this week. I said before I’m not fast at this thing called running—but for me, I’ve been trying to push the boundaries. Thanks to the few days I was able to get out last week on the bike—I feel stronger on my runs.
Tuesday I ran my average speed for 20 minutes on a flat incline. I was feeling good so I bumped up the speed a few notches. After 20 minutes, with the same speed, I moved into hill intervals. One choice word came out when I saw I had a steep incline for 2 minutes. The last 20 minutes I went back to the flat incline but bumped up the speed a few more notches. Wow, was my face red from the high heart rate and lack of oxygen to the blood cells—it was quite embarrassing. Even though I had a look of death in my eyes—I was still able to get out one good chuckle when I saw a Mr. T look-a-like at the gym. Danny Bonaduce and now Mr. T!! Who’s next?
A mere 10 hours later was Jody’s class. Too my amazement, I felt pretty good. Even went for a short—harder for me—run with Jody while her and Joe had a full conversation while I was just trying to stay alive.
Thursday night I was going to take it easy—stead pace run on the treadmill. Nothing crazy. Two minutes into my run I was feeling good so I bumped up my speed a few notches. Two minutes later I was still feeling good so I bumped it up two more notches. Two minutes later—still feeling good—why not? Two more notches. Three minutes letter—headphones died.
Thankfully I carry two types of headphones in my gym bag. After switching them out—I started where I ended. 7 miles later at pace I haven’t done since last year keeping my heart rate at an average 150—I felt GREAT! For the first time in a long time I didn’t feel like crap after running.
10 hours later—Matt’s class. Who would’ve known the game of Hot Potato would be so much fun! Mel, one of the oldest guys in class, had a different prospective when we kept handing him the Hot Potato (i.e. had to get out of the seat and sprint). Hey—spin class is not group fitness.
No comments:
Post a Comment