Good thing I like riding in the rain because this was my second Tuesday I got caught in torrential rain and quite possibly lighting—couldn’t see so I wasn’t sure.
Tuesday night’s easy TT training ride became a wet wind tunnel training ride. Or as Timmer put it "weather conditions you would have during a Belgium Classic race." Starting this weekend I will be doing 4 Time Trials in 6 days (7 races in 10 days) so I thought it would be fitting to toss in the arrow bars and go for a little ride. My teammate OC came over with her TT bike and we headed out to the Medina area to watch the TNT TT race. If you haven’t been in the Medina area when it’s windy let’s just say it’s one of the hardest rides when the weather is crappy—open fields + wind + downhill = Scary! With limited hours on the bike in a TT position it was pretty nerve racking to try to hold on with wind gusts around 40 mph. I spent more time out of the TT position then I wanted. I just didn’t have the gust-o to stay down when I was moving sideways, but OC did.
At about the halfway marker of our ride it started to downpour. I don’t mean a few drops I mean the kind where you can’t see and your riding in headwinds. It didn’t last long but enough to test your love for the sport.
The course was open for riders so we jumped on the TT course and was able to cheer on a few of our fellow teammates on our way back to my place.
Needless to say we got more out of our training then we anticipated.
Tonight I’m riding with my 11-year-old nephew to celebrate his birthday. When I asked him to go on a little ride with me he said “what does little mean?” I could only chuckle. He has me pegged. A little ride for me is a huge ride for him. I'll take it easy on him.
No comments:
Post a Comment