
Hey I found a pic of me in the race!
Marty was a little different this year. Instead of going North and climbing the massive hill the course went south—which, last year was called the Sprinter’s Classic. Marty isn’t too difficult but with winds in the 20+ category it would be survival of the fittest. But, with tailwinds on the finish stretch it was going to be fun!
I carpooled with Jackie and Greg since Points was not interested in racing no matter how hard Jackie and I tried to convince her. Hell she won on this course last year in a t-shirt and her bibs on the outside.
Anyways, 30 girls lined up for the Cat 4 and 40+ category!! I haven’t raced with so many women before—it’s amazing on how many people have been turning out this year to race. Recession? You would never know. The men’s categories have been turning away riders the past three weeks. After racing and winning the 1/2/3 category, Teresa decided to do a second race and race in the 40+ category. If only I had that endurance…It was fun to have her in our field. I made a note to keep a close eye on her since I knew she should be putting in some attacks.
And…we were off. Aside from the winds, the course wasn’t too difficult there would be one hill were the feed zone was (similar to the second roller on 144), but nothing to complain about. The only challenge was getting used to riding with so many women in the field. It was interesting there were a few attacks—a few from Teresa, but they never lasted that long and they would always slow down so everyone would have time to regroup. Strange.
On the first hill we lost a couple of girls, but not many. The field was still pretty strong on the start of the second lap. We stuck together for most of the time. I couldn’t believe how fast this race was shaping out—I was comfortably going 28 mph (with tailwind)—thank goodness it wasn’t my first year. I wasn’t sure how my teammates were doing but we were all still together and everyone still looked strong AND Jen was still with the group—which was exciting.
On the final climb I was still feeling pretty good so I attacked with 10 other girls. It didn’t affect my race, but I was getting pissed off at one of the 40+ women who was in the attack group—she hooked me about three times. Hooking is where someone erratically cross in front of you causing you to swerve just in time to miss hitting their wheel. Everywhere I went she cut in front of me. I bit my lip—which is going against my goal this year—to speak-up when someone is in my line. Just wait, it’s not in me to keep quite.
So, 10 of us attacked and never looked back. We were gone. Unfortunately, my teammates were dropped. I hung on to the lead group—I saw Teresa do a double take when she saw the Silver kit and realized it ME instead of my teammate Kristy. I felt good I was in control, breathing normally—it brought a smile to my face to see the touble take. We picked up the speed two blocks before the final turn. If you were not in a good position you were going to have to work hard to get up there. I wasn’t in the perfect position, so when we turned the corner the group split again—but, I wasn’t in it. I dug deep and start sprinting. Last year it got me when I started the sprint too early—this year I was fine, but you had to start as soon as you completed the turn. My max speed on the final streach was my highest ever on a flat streatch—42.9 mph!! I got around a few girls and came in 6th in my category, 8th overall. I wish I did better but thinking that I didn’t have a change on this one since it was a sprint finish—I can’t be too upset with my results. Next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment