Monday, May 18, 2009

Charity TT

“That can’t be right” was all I could say to my teammates after seeing the results.

Double hitter. Two TT’s this past weekend.

I was a little pumped after my surprise third place win from the Synergy TT that I called up a friend to go out for A drink. We ended up going to this place that had 2 for 1’s. Trouble! I’m not sure how many I had but I know I had at least six margaritas that night. Could have been eight. Thankfully our Sunday race was at noon.

Thanks to a slow start—no hangover—I got ready and made it to the race, same course as the Blackdog TT series. I rode the 7.2 course to try out the arrowbars. Seems that they filled in all of the potholes since last time but steering the bike with your forearms and shoulders was still a challenge with all the convex bumps, but I felt pretty good after my pre-race ride.

Being late to the start line was not going to happen to me twice in one weekend so I hovered the start line way before I was scheduled to go off.

Once on the bike I was totally focused. I forgot my computer so all I could do was go as hard as I could go and then keep going. Now that it’s over I can’t believe how fast 7.2 miles can go by so fast when you are sitting at the limit—I can only remember four moments during the race. Don’t get me wrong, it felt like years at the time. All could I think about was the little tips I got from everyone the past couple of days. Especially what I learned on my pre-race ride and from my previous Blackdog TT.

With no computer I had no idea what my time was, all I knew was that I was faster than my Blackdog time but by how much I had no idea. But with my lack of bike maintenance knowledge my front derailleur would not allow me to go down as far as I wanted to go into the bigger rings which meant I could have gone faster.

Finally the results were posted. I heard everyone say that their times were off and that the officials needed to relook everyone’s time after bib 46. I was bib 49.

Results were re-posted and I was listed in 1ST place! (17:47) I actually tied for first place with another girl—not possible in this type of racing. They rechecked down to the tenth of a second and reposted the results again. I officially got 1st place!!!! My first win! OH MY GOD! YIPPIE!!

My goals this year was to win at least one race—didn’t expect on a TT race—and to be in the top five for Rider Of the Year. I’m currently now sitting in first place!

3 comments:

jorgehuevo said...

well madonna seem that you had the strategy figured out, 5 margaritas the night before a race, wherever works.

congratulations, im going to bring my camera so next time i see you i take a picture with you

jorge
autograph too

nerdman said...

Great job!!

Lynne said...

Oh excellent-I'm so happy for you!! What a great way to end the weekend, huh?