Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blackdog #2

Last night was the second edition in the Blackdog series.

Driving down to the dog is much harder than I ever expected. Why do they need to shut down every major highway to do repairs? The saying is so true for Minnesota we have two seasons: Winter and Construction. Due to the construction I had to take a different route. Let’s just say I was ready to turn around and go home—I was so frustrated with the lack of directions I had. Luckily I’m not the only one who needs to be taken to the start line. Check out the last portion of this video. Funny!

I found my team and started to warm up with them. We all felt pretty sluggish and not excited to do a Time Trial on an extremely windy day—again! We were happy that it was finally warm—95 degrees and not humid!!!

At the start line one of the officials told me that I would owe him a case of beer if I didn’t pass the lady two numbers in front of me. I looked over and said I should owe him a case or two if I don’t pass her. She was on some funky bike with a back—never have seen that before.

I’m not going to get into much detail since my last couple of entries have been the same experience, but with the wind I noticed that I had to drop down to 16 mph but was able to get back up to 20 even 24 in the headwind sections. I was ready to lose it much sooner than I normally would. On the way back, with a bit of a tailwind I was able to pick-up to 28 in some parts. The final turn was in crosswinds. I didn’t feel as confident in my performance as Sunday, without arrowbars (I’m racing the stock bike series), but I was able to tell that I came in 15 seconds slower than the first Blackdog. Not too bad since the wind was twice as bad.

Once the results came up…I was shocked to see that I got my second win in one week!!! I won buy about 40 seconds! I came in 2nd place overall for the women, only 29 seconds behind my teammate who got 1st place in the women’s open—open has the whole aerodynamic set-up (TT Bike, helmet, wheels, booties, etc).

This weekend is the Duluth Classic—four days of racing. Friday is a TT. Saturday and Sunday are both Road Races. Monday is a crit.

3 comments:

jorgehuevo said...

no wonder you dont ride with us no more, you are to good to be true now,

autograph pending
jorge


congratulations again, and again

Anonymous said...

Madonna, What is going on!!! You're HOT!!! On FIRE!!! Way to go. Nice to see some competitive energy. You'll have to come drag us Trailhead boys around the NW suburbs again someday. AND... maybe put some of that energy into the dirt! (MTB!!)

Keep up the good work!

DaveH

Lynne said...

No one's really posting about Duluth. I hope you post when you're back tomorrow!!