Friday, February 8, 2008

Calorie Competition

When we are in spin class there is no really way to foster competition, like you would on the road, unless you determine how many calories you burned vs the person of the same sex next to you. Of course you can measure their pool of sweat below their bike, but who would want to do that?

Today’s spin class was just that, a calorie competition with a shot of insanity. Within a short amount of time we all hit our AT. Based on my average heart rate for that hour (156 BM) I did not come out of my AT too many times for most of the class. There was one distinct moment that I wasn’t sure if I could hold on. We were doing a seated hill climb, half way in I was praying we were almost done. I was wrong—only half way. After a few more times of hearing and following the commands of: “increase your tension a quarter turn” I was ready to lose it. I think if there was 30-60 more seconds I would have. Turns out I wasn’t the only one that thought that. 607 calories burned (50 calories more then last week). I didn’t win.

After class a girl sitting close to me asked how Jody’s class was. I responded: “Based on this class…worse.” Tomorrow I’m going to Jody’s class.

This weekend is supposed to get really cold again. Bill said he was heading out again on his single speed since it will be -30 below with windchill. What a nut! I think I’m going to try to get a run in this weekend outside, but pass if it’s below zero. I’m crazy, but not “Bill” crazy!

Oh, I didn't mention earlier this week—it's official I'm a Loon!

2 comments:

Vito said...

10:45 PM -40 degrees windchill. Just returned from a 1.5 hr. ride. Didn't even fall once : ) and I was able to stay toasty warm...kind of.

Home Skillet said...

madonna - you are doing one hell of a job this winter - inspiration to say the least!