Monday, January 21, 2008

Ice Box

I’m not a football fan but I did flip to the Green Bay Packers vs the NY Giants a few times last night to see how in the hell they could play a four hour game in this weather (-4 windchill -30). Its one thing to do a couple of runs and warm up, but I have to give a hand to the fans that stood out in the cold to support their team for that long.

I tried to stay warm this weekend spite my continued issue with my garage door opener—it should start warming up this week so I’ll know if it’s more then just the cold or if it’s truly broken. I’ll get a new one this summer, but I just don’t want to be out there installing a new one right now.

On Saturday I did upper body weights and then went to Jody’s two classes. A lot of the regulars were there since the weather cancelled a lot of outdoor activities. It was so much fun to see everyone and to catch-up. For the first class we did the velodome ride with speed work. Not since the hills in Preston have I felt like my lungs and heart were going to pop out of my chest (sorry for the graphic explanation). Unlike the last couple of weeks, her second class was just as hard with TT in Duluth. 1150 calories burned.

Sunday I got to work and found out that they didn’t need me. I thought what the hell…I’m going to the gym. Sunday’s are typically my day off but now that I had 5 extra hours on my hand I thought I would use a couple of them up and do a light workout. A few weeks ago I kicked up my running speed so I thought that since this is a light workout I would go back to my lower speed for 60 minutes. Wow I felt great! I grabbed 2—10lb weights and did lunges. I normally would do these types of lunges around a track, but I found a nice space and nailed them out. (20-front, 20-right sumo, 20-left sumo, 20-backwards, 15-front).

I started thinking again about doing something big—that is challenging. Yesterday that’s all I could think about. I’m still pondering the idea so I don’t want to put it out there in cyberworld. What I can say, is that in mid-August I should have an answer.

Last night I watched the movie Breaking Away. To my surprise it was a great movie. There were a few one-liners that cracked me up! I just found out from a co-worker that back in the day when cars were called automobiles cyclist would yell “OIL” if a car were passing them.

I found this great quote this weekend, “Cycling is like church—many attend, but few understand.”—Jim Barlant. So true.

Tonight is Don’s class. Tomorrow morning I’m going to try it again and do my long run. I hope I make it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Madonna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.